Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thrifting Birthday Gifts

A couple years ago Andy and I made it a point to always try to make sure we bought things used vs. new.  And really it has been quite easy, considering I love thrift shopping.  But we have always struggled when it came to buying things for other people.  Some people might be offended if we bought used items for their gift and others may understand and realize that it's okay if something doesn't have all that unnecessary packaging.

Finley has been invited to a birthday party coming up tomorrow and tonight we needed to get her friend, Hope, a birthday present.  I thought about just going to a big box store and finding something, but I was really personally against it.  So to the thrift store Finley and I went.  Quite frankly, I think we hit the jackpot.  Here is everything we found:

A Tangled art set.  Hope is kinda in love with Tangled and I found this quite fitting.  $2.50

I have no idea if Hope likes Fancy Nancy, but what 4 year old girl doesn't like being fancy??  $1.25 for the book and $4.99 for the crafty book (it includes things like a fancy handkerchief, crown, and cateye glasses).

I got the tank top for $2.00 and I had the applique in my craft supplies... so it took me only a minute to iron that sucker on.  The shorts were $2.00 as well.

Littlest Pet Shop Go Fish $1.50 and a tie-dye pig that moves and oinks (awesome!)- $3.99.

I had the gift bag at home that I saved from Finley's birthday back in December.  Mostly, I'm excited that Hope will be getting a large assortment of things vs. just one item due to the fact that it was all thrifted.  The Fancy Nancy book alone retails new for $12.00!  That just seems silly.

 Total damage:  $19.00 with taxes.  Pretty awesome, right?

1 comment:

  1. Dude. I think that kicks ass!

    When I was pregnant with Bennett, I begged people (and even put it on my invitations to the shower) for people to PLEASE feel free to give me hand-me-downs, used things, thrift items, whatever. I specifically said in terms of clothes and books - don't buy new, just hand down what you don't use or get cheap used stuff. And you know what? TWO friends did. One friend hand made me a doll and gave me her son's hand-me-down cowboy boots which I LOVED. Another friend gave Bennett a collection of used books. Awesome! I don't know why more people didn't take me up on that, especialy since most of them had little boys of their own and I knew they had stuff they didn't want.

    I say all that to say, if it was MY kid's birthday party, I would be thrilled at that gift! Thrilled!

    ReplyDelete