Friday, May 25, 2012

Homesteaders Daughter: Toddler Gardening

I was going to do a post on our first strawberry of the season; however, the pictures I took seem to be forever lost.  All I can say though was that our first strawberry was the most delicious strawberry I have ever EVER eaten.  Yummmmm!

Since strawberry pictures are lost, I will do a post about Finley.  Last week (or was it 2... or maybe even 3) I found this garden craft at the thrift store.



I could have easily done this activity with all the seed starting stuff I have downstairs.  I'm pretty sure I will go that route next time, I just happened to see this at the thrift store and Finley thought it was pretty special.

The seed pods were already place in their spots; however, Finley found it necessary (fun) to take them all out and put them back in.


She watered them with help from daddy.


She watered them solo.  She was quite good at this.


We planted the seeds.  It came with Marigolds.  Perfect!  Marigolds are great, the deter mosquito's and other nasty pests.


The kit came with a plastic dome.


Place in sunshine.  It was a bit cloudy that day, so we opted to put it under our AeroGarden's grow lights.


The seeds have sprouted and are now growing nicely.  Unfortunately, Mama and Daddy have nearly killed them a couple of times already.  We forgot to water them and they also got blown over outside in the wind and fell a good distance.  Yet, they have survived.  I guess Finley is a great gardener because Andy and I have attempted (2 times!) to grow Marigolds.  2 out of 20 have sprouted.  2 out of 2 have now died.  Who knew a 2 year old could have such a green thumb?

No comments:

Post a Comment