Sunday, April 1, 2012

Florida Keys- Day 5

Wow... I'm tired.  We started off our day lounging around at a local beach, Sombrero Beach.



It was HOT out today so the water was very refreshing.  The only problem was the seaweed.  Ryan wasn't a huge fan, but I just swam over it.  My dreads needed some salt water and patches of seaweed weren't going to stop them!

Prior to coming to the keys, I was scared of seeing these:


Luckily, I didn't see a single one.  But we did see this cute little dude (Look close! He blends in!):


After being at the beach for a while and our beer supply running empty, we packed up and headed out on our next adventure.

Kayaking!



We rented our kayaks from a place here in Marathon (Keys Kayak LLC).  The guys was super nice and gave us a great deal and allowed us to join him on a kayak tour he was doing later in the day.  Come to find out the guy is from Wisconsin too!  Fond du Lac to be exact.  Pretty crazy.

The Kayak tour we did at the end of the day was AMAZING.  Simply amazing.  He took us through the mangroves.  Which are these tree like plants that grow in the ocean and the roots are above the water.  They are really cool looking.   The canals he took us through were so small that we were dodging tree limbs left and right.  Again, this tour was the most amazing thing I have really ever done.  First, I go kayaking for the first time ever.  Than my kayaking experience is in the ocean.  Than to really go over the top, I go on this down and dirty "jungle" adventure!  Ahhhh, what a perfect day.

I wish I had more pictures, but my camera sporadically decided not to work and I didn't get a single picture of the mangroves. :( Shame, really.  Luckily, Amanda got some pictures so I'm looking forward to seeing them.

We ended up kayaking for a little more than 5 hours!  We all got sunburned (Amanda especially) and I'm sure our arms are going to be hurting tomorrow from paddling for so long.

After such a long day on the water, we are pretty exhausted so we had a very quick but late dinner and an even later dessert... Key Lime Pie... again.  Mmmmm.


Tomorrow is our last full day here, so I think we will be staying in Marathon.  Keeping it low key and probably checking out what else this awesome town has to offer.  Honestly, though, I'm not sure anything else could top our kayaking adventure today.

2 comments:

  1. I am always amazed when I am on Sombrero Beach that I have the place to myself. Before 9:00am is the best time

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MUST do a Vlog about how the salt water changed your dreads!

    ReplyDelete