Monday, April 16, 2012

Building Raised Garden Beds

Another "How To" post!  I know I did a how to post on building raised beds last year, but with this new blog I found it fitting to do it again.

Raised beds have been a dream in regards to gardening.  Last year we had the most minimal amount of weeds.  It's easy on the knees and back too.  And if you have plants that spread or overtake areas, these beds help control them.

This past weekend, Andy and I built 3 more raised beds.  They are 4' by 8'.

First, you need to buy wood.  We buy our lumber at Home Depot.  We would buy cedar which is better to hold up to the weather, but I'm not rich, so... the cheaper UNTREATED wood it is (I have read that this wood will last for up to 5-6 years no problem).  For one 4'x8' bed with a depth of 16" you will need to buy 4- 2x8x12' boards.  Home Depot will cut your boards to length for FREE!  Cut each board into a 4' length and 8' length.  Also, you will need to have posts for the corners.  Last year we just used 2"x2" boards, but we decided to up it to 2"x3" just for added strength.  Cut these boards into 16" lengths.

Step 1:  Gather your wood.  (and tricycle and VW Vanagon aka Ooby Dooby to entertain toddler)



Step 2:  Have a man with a very large beard cut wood to length (if not done at Home Depot or similar store).


Step 3:  Screw all the boards to the corner posts.  We started  (and found it to be easier) by screwing the corner posts to the 4' length sides and than adding the 8' lengths.  Once all the bottom layer boards are screwed on, add the second layer to make the bed 16" deep... you can make it only 8" if you want.


It's that easy!  I don't know why people spend a fortune buying already made beds when we can easily make one for only $30!

Step 4:  Determine where to put your bed and make sure it is square and level.



This year that will total to 5- 4'x8' raised beds and 4- 3'x3' raised beds.  That is a ton of space for gardening!  And to think, in the years to come, this number will be doubled or even tripled!  Don't think we are obsessed about homesteading yet?  Here is a picture of Finley getting her study on about garden pests...what do you think now?


Need advice on how to build raised beds?  email me or comment and I'll help.  Live in the area and want us to build one for you?  No Problem!

7 comments:

  1. You simply MUST come to Portland work on my yard. That should be your next "vacation".

    Consider yourself invited! (I can only imagine how fun it would be for you to work on someone else's yard... you're welcome!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up for your great info you've got here on this post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.

    Check out my web site garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I leaгn something nеw anԁ challenging on websitеs
    Ι stumbleupon every day. It's always helpful to read content from other authors and practice a little something from their sites.

    my web blog :: garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whаt’s up, I rеad your new ѕtuff on
    a rеgulaг bаsіѕ. Yοur writing style is ωitty, kеep it up!


    Feеl fгee to visit mу sіte organic potting soil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Εverything іs very οрen with a prесіsе
    exρlаnаtion of thе сhаllenges.
    Ιt waѕ геallу infогmatіve.
    Yоuг site is very useful. Thank yοu fοr sharing!


    Feel frеe to visit my blоg pоst; losing weight after 50

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hеllο, I enjoy reaԁing thrоugh
    уour poѕt. I liκe to write a little comment tο support you.



    Heгe is mу blοg build it green

    ReplyDelete
  7. look for holder Springs at Walmart.com. pick from our determination of sleeping cushion establishments in assorted sizes and types. try this site

    ReplyDelete