Saturday, March 31, 2012

Florida Keys- Day 4

Today we went to Key West, which is about an hours drive from where we are staying in Marathon.  We thought we would spend the day shopping, drinking, eating... the typical low key style famous for this area.

On our way there we ran into a traffic jam which involved a helicopter landing on the bridge.  We aren't sure of the exact situation but we think there had to be an air lift of someone on a boat under the bridge here.  I just hope whatever happened that everyone is okay.


It was very hot today.  A muggy 85, which had us sweating pretty much all day.  But the quick stops at local bars for a drink or two helped cool us down.  We even stopped at this bar where clothing was an option!  Of course, we kept fully clothed, but we saw quite the packages on two heavy set men with what seemed to be a very even tan.  I don't know if I could be naked like that in front of complete strangers.  But to each their own!

 As for shopping, I didn't find much.  It was more touristy stuff with ugly t-shirts and stuff that was made in china.  I really wanted something local and I finally found it!

Isn't it beautiful!  It was made by a beautiful woman with dreads which makes it that much better :)

For dinner we ate at a Cuban restaurant, El Meson De Pepe.  It was delicious!  It was really the best meal I've had this whole trip so far. 


We than went to the ocean front to get a view of the sunset.  This is what we got:

Ugh!  Can we not get a good sunset?? Just once??
And of course we had dessert.  Tonight it was chocolate dipped key lime pie.  Mighty yummy if I do say so myself :)  Also notice my other purchase of the day.  A ring made out of a coconut!  I love it.


And after tonight, I have officially been to the southernmost point in the continental USA.


Tomorrow looks like we might be kayaking the ocean.  I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment