Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Florida Keys- Day 1

I will be spending the next week in the Florida Keys and day 1 did not disappoint.  I already want to come back next year.  Heck, I may go back, pick up Andy and Finley, and return here for good.  

We are staying at a very inexpensive place called the Pelican Motel.  It is quite nice.  Being recently renovated, the rooms are clean and updated.  The bathroom is less than to be desired and according to Amanda, the shower is more of a trickle.  The sink has more water pressure than the shower, so that should be interesting.  But personally, the motel room is the least of concerns.  I'm here to sleep and that's it.  Luxury is not needed to keep this girl happy.

First here is the view from the stretch of beach they have at this motel... isn't it lovely?



Here is the "pelican" by our motel room.  So cute.


Here is a real pelicans at the beach.


We than went and decided to eat at Herbie's which Ryan raved about.  Sometimes the "dives" are the greatest places to eat, and this was no exception.


I was completely naughty and I ate... fish!  (please don't judge or hate me!)  I haven't eaten meat in almost two years and this was a really really hard decision to make.  I almost didn't do it and was going to order the grilled cheese, but the fish is local, the fish is fresh, and seriously the fish was delicious.  I'm dealing with a bit of guilt right now about eating something that was once alive, but hopefully that will past.  But fish is where I draw the line.  You will NOT  be seeing me shoving a big ol' burger in my mouth anytime soon. 

Tonight the fish was Mahi Mahi.  It was a little overkill with the lemon butter, but it was still yummy.


And I couldn't come to the Florida Keys and not try some Key Lime Pie. 



This was amazing.  Too bad I was so overly full from the fish to fully enjoy it.  Also, I like to keep it classy by pairing the pie with some good ol' Michelob Ultra.  That's just how I roll.  My brother, Ryan, had the rum bananas and he loved them.  I honestly thought he was going to lick the plate.

After feeling like we were all going to puke from eating so much, we took a walk to the beach to enjoy the sunset.  Unfortunately, Day 1's sunset was not very impressive (too many clouds at the horizon). 



Ryan and Amanda are asleep now, weary from their travels and I'm about to hit the hay too.  We don't have specific plans for tomorrow, but I'm hoping I'll get to take a dip in the ocean for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment