Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Power of Family

A couple weeks ago my grandpa had to have bypass heart surgery.  It was very serious and as  most medical emergencies go, very sudden and unexpected.  We are lucky to have him still with us now and to see his fast recovery.  Recovery, involving no strenuous activity, lifting, etc... Thus the need for family!  So last weekend, My mother, her boyfriend, My aunt, myself and Finley drove the hour and a half to my Grandpa's home.  Our mission?  To plant his garden.  Even when my grandpa was fresh out of surgery, he was worried about how he was going to get his garden planted.  So we wanted to make sure it happened and what better way than with family.  Of course, he stood by at every moment directing us on what and where to plant. 

Our other director: Finley Grace.

My grandpa's wife helped figure out what plants were what that came out of his greenhouse.

My mom's boyfriend, Greg and I planting potatoes.

A very long long line of tomatoes.

Many rows of corn and squash.

Taking a rest.

Finley did really well!

Dogs- Small, Medium, and Large.  All three were quite naughty the whole time.

The beautiful landscaping at my grandpa's house.

There were 5 adult hands to help with the gardening and in 4 short hours, we were able to plant (in 2 30' row gardens): Tomatoes, Peas, Pole Beans, Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, Kohlrabi, Cucumber, Sweet Corn, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Butternut Squash, Beets, Melon, Onions, Dill, and Potatoes.  That's more than I can plant solo in a couple weekends!  It was a great reminder of how great and how powerful families can be.  It was a great day and I was more than happy to help my Grandpa out.  I know he would have done the same if the roles were reversed. 

It may have only been 4 hours of gardening, but this is what Finley and I did shortly into our ride home!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I love that you have family on both your side and Andy's. I think family makes life so much better in so many ways. I'm sure it meant the world to your grandpa to have you guys there doing that for him.

    ReplyDelete