Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Harvest

In June we were able to harvest our strawberries and raspberries.  Now that July is here, we are seeing lots of growth, lots of failures, and finally the beginning of the summer harvest.


Here is what I harvested today: 1 Broccoli, 2 zucchini, and a handful of blueberries.


The harvest may be small, but it's a miracle in my eyes.  With the battle of pests and all, I was really expecting nothing.  Last year we had beginners luck with such a great harvest, but this year we really got the lesson that, well, gardening is just plain hard.  We've lost 30+ tomatoes to blossom end rot already, a bunny (I suspect) ate off my only growing cucumber, we lost all our swiss chard to earwigs, and our strawberry/raspberry harvest was very minimal. 

Despite my garden woes, I'm going to feel blessed today with the harvest I did get.  And I guarantee you that I will savor every bite of that broccoli and zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment