Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July Garden (in a drought)

It finally (finally!) rained last night.  It feels like it has been weeks or near a month since we last got a decent rain.  This summer weather has been awful.  Hot and dry, I'd almost think I was living in a desert.  The grass is burnt and the only way to keep my garden alive is to water... a lot.

We have a 250 gallon rain catcher in the back and another 55 gallon rain barrel in the front.  Both have been bone dry for quite some time now.  Here I was thinking I'd have plenty of rain water to water my garden this summer.  Silly me.  I don't even want to see my water bill.

Curious to see how my garden is looking here in the peak of summer?  A hot, drought ridden summer... ugh, it's not pretty.

Front of the house.  Plus side to a drought: I haven't had to mow the lawn once this summer.

Bed of peppers and roma tomatoes.  Peppers are starting to grow and they are beautiful.  The romas; however, have succumbed to blossom end rot.

Bed of broccoli and cabbage.  The cabbage is coming along.  The broccoli refuses to flower.  We have only harvested one head of broccoli so far.

Entire bed of heirloom, beefsteak, and cherry tomatoes.  They are full of fruit.  I can't wait till I see that first glimpse of pink on them!

Blue corn seems to be doing quite well. 

weak, dying zucchini plants are what you get when you decide to go camping and think that 1 day of not watering can't do much harm.

Potatoes that we have neglected and failed to add more dirt to.  Also, the arrow points to a very curious hole some animal has dug.  Perhaps a rabbit?

Blackberries and strawberries are surviving and should give us a strong crop next year (fingers crossed).

We have been harvesting blueberries for the last week or so.  They are heaven in a harvestless garden.

The garlic is all yellow and dying which means they are ready.  We'll be picking these and drying them this weekend.  The onions had a different fate though... they died.

Raspberries have been quite an eyesore.  The canes are dying off that gave us a harvest this year.  I am fighting the urge to cut them off.  I need to wait till fall, but it's hard to fight the urge.

The only reason I haven't thrown my hands up and called defeat... the sweet corn.  Growing well and hoping for a good harvest come September.

Don't even talk to me about my carrots, I only get angry.  You can clearly see they are pathetic along with the also pathetic broccoli.

Lettuce had bolted so we pulled it all out and are now trying to grow some more swiss chard and kale.

Thanks to the rain last night, this beaut is finally full.
So there you have it.  In all it's glory, a July garden in middle of a drought.

1 comment:

  1. You are a rockstar for hanging in there and sticking with this. Urban homesteading can't be easy, but you are doing great, especially considering that this is your first full year. You are awesome! The fact that you got (and are getting) ANY edibles is amazing, especially given the conditions there.

    Hang in there! It will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete