Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Garden Dreams

Garden dreams in middle of a snowstorm.  Well, the weather station says "snowstorm" but we are really only supposed to get 1-3" of snow with some rain which really isn't a snowstorm in my book.  So while the rest of the community freaks out over how much snow we will get, I will take pleasure in day dreaming about my garden... again.

Last year we only had 2 raised bed and did next to zero planning which luckily turned into a successful year,  but this year we decided to do square foot gardening in addition to building 5 more beds.  In preperation for this change I wanted to do some serious planning on what we would specifically grow this year.  So I grabbed my graph paper, ruler, pen and crayons (Finley's of course) and went to work.

A blank canvas.

A slight embarrassment, but American Idol on in the background.

Drawing up the raised beds

The completed detailed plans

Up close of what two of our beds will include
 I spent my entire evening working on this.  Seems silly to some, but I know this visual will be BIG help for when we start planting things and start seeds here in a couple weeks. 

According to these plans this is what we will be growing this year:
  • 44 Tomato Plants
  • 28 Pepper Plants
  • 24 Broccoli Plants
  • 16 Cabbage Plants
  • 192 Onions
  • 32 Green Onions
  • 4 Cucumber Plants
  • 16 Celery Plants
  • 28 Lettuce Plants
  • 336 Carrots
  • An entire 4x8 bed devoted to Zucchini
  • 16 Potato Plants
  • 32 Sugar Pea Plants
  • 32 Snap Bean Plants
  • 2 Blueberry Bushes
  • Raspberry Bush
  • Garlic
Things that we plan on doing that do not incorporate raised bed will be growing sweet corn, more tomato plants, swiss chard, rhubarb, strawberries, many herbs, and 2 apple trees.

Think that we can handle all that?  Now that I see the numbers here, I'm freaking out a bit.  Whew...breath, Lindsay.  I can do it, I can do it, I can do it! 

1 comment:

  1. Your plans look great! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete